Round two is here! The R Consortium Infrastructure Steering Committee (ISC) orchestrates two rounds of proposal calls and grant awards per year to fortify the R ecosystem’s technical infrastructure. We have one key goal: to make meaningful infrastructure improvements that serve the R community.
ISC’s Call for Proposals opens on September 1, 2023. Send in your submission! https://www.r-consortium.org/all-projects/call-for-proposals
We’re reaching out to the extended R community to tap into your expertise and insights. What areas do you think need attention to extend R’s capabilities? Do you see emerging domains where R could significantly impact? Whether in Climate Science, Engineering, Finance, Medicine, or any other discipline, your ideas could spark innovations that advance the field and broaden the R community.
Technical Infrastructure projects that have been funded include:
- R-hub is a centralized tool for checking R packages
- Testing DBI and improving key open-source database backends.
- Improvements in packages such as mapview and sf
- Improving Translations in R
- Ongoing infrastructural development for R on Windows and macOS
Social Infrastructure projects include:
- SatuRDays bootstrapping a system for local R conferences.
- Data-Driven Discovery and Tracking of R Consortium Activities
The ISC is interested in projects that:
- Are likely to have a broad impact on the R community.
- Have a focused scope (a good example is the Simple Features for R project). If you have a larger project, consider breaking it into smaller chunks (a good example is with the DBI/DBItest project submission, where multiple proposals came in overtime to address the various needs).
- Have a low-to-medium risk with a low-to-medium reward. The ISC tends not to fund high-risk, high-reward projects.
Key Dates for 2023
Second Grant Cycle: September 1 to October 1, acceptance by November 1, contract by December 1.
The Chair of the ISC and committee members will review all proposals. Results will be announced as per the schedule above, and all funded projects will feature on the R Consortium blog.
Let’s enrich the R landscape, amplifying its utility across various sectors. The time is ripe, and your ideas could be the seeds of transformation. We look forward to your active participation.
Apply now and be part of shaping the future of R! You can read more about ISC Grant Proposal application process here.