The R language is an open source environment for statistical computing and graphics. The R community has enjoyed significant growth, with more than 2 million users worldwide. A broad range of organizations have adopted the R language as a data science platform, including biotech, finance, research and high technology industries. The R language is often integrated into third-party analysis, visualization and reporting applications, and runs on a wide variety of computing platforms.
The central mission of the R Consortium is to work with and provide support to the R Foundation and key organizations and groups developing, maintaining, distributing and using R software. Its activities and programs include:
- Promoting the growth and development of R as a leading platform for data science and statistical computing.
- Members of the R Consortium are recognized as supporters of the R Project and the R community, and the R Consortium represents its members to the R community and to the media.
- Supporting and collaborating with the R Foundation, the governing body of the R Project.
- The R Foundation maintains a permanent seat on the board of the R Consortium, as an open communication channel for R Consortium members.
- Funding projects to enhance R and support its users.
- Projects are proposed by the R community at large, and selected for funding by the Infrastructure Steering Committee. R Consortium members nominate the selection committee and provide funds for project grants with their membership dues. (Here is a list of projects funded by the R Consortium to date.)
- Fostering the continued growth of R community and the data science ecosystem.
- The R Consortium sponsors R-related conferences (including useR!), meetings (including SatRDays and RLadies), and local user groups worldwide.
- Enabling the use of R in commercial environments, and fostering collaboration between companies investing in R.
- R Consortium committees are developing programs for R language certification and training, consulting, and employment.
What is R?
R is an open source language and environment for statistical computing and graphics.